Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Move and, doing some Math

I moved to a new "sublet" this past weekend, its a 3 story town home, I have the bottom floor....well its about 2/3 of a floor. Call it a Stoom...(Studio/Room). The last place was a basement room and a single shared kitchen with 3 others, and....I also shared a full bath with 2 other men. I had no freezer space there and maybe one third of a standard frig for food storage. Here its just me and the Owner who is single.

Whats my point?

Let me see how clear I can make it, for 2 months I had no freezer. I didnt expect I would suffer quality of life issues with this minor point. Really, I mean, c'mon man, its just food. I found this attitude didnt work rather quickly when you DO THE MATH.

A standard Frig/Freezer has between 18 and 22 cubic feet of internal space. That is divided 2/3 for Refrig and 1/3 for Freezer. Say 13 cubic feet for the Refrigerator space is normal. Then you have the smaller Refrigerator models which are called "half" (6 cf) and quarter" (3 cf) size units.

Here is mine now.




I did some math, right?....I mean, math is my job as an estimator so this shouldnt be too taxing.
Notice the microwave below it, this Frig is not alot bigger than a small microwave. I measured the inside of the Frig. At a whopping 16 inch by 13 inch by a foot average depth, it is 1.448 cubic foot REFRIGERATOR!?

.....ahem....

Doing the math, 1.448 divided into 13 (a normal Refrigerator space) reveals this a ONE NINTH refrigerator. Hmmm, (I said to self) whats the freezer like?:


Now thats the ticket, Its 3 feet by 3 feet by 3.5 tall....

Nice and wide and deep for a few pallets of Eggos and Ice Cream! Now the challenge...I managed to stuff a week of breakfast and lunch food into the ONE NINTH refrigerator, thusly:


I still had room for Strawberries, and a 2 liter soda. So I am Golden now! The moral of the math story is if you do it, you may get angry but it all works out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment